Thursday

10/07 - Up All Night


Although I'm technically writing in the early hours of the 11th I haven't gone to bed on the 10th yet so this still counts as today's (yesterdays) post, right? When I say I haven't been to bed that's not strictly true.. I am in bed and have been for several hours but I'm so uncomfortable it's impossible to sleep. For the past few days I've been suffering from the symptoms of a UTI (AKA Cystitis) and deliberating over whether I should post about it.. it's a little TMI after all. Over the past however many years I have had the same symptoms occasionally, usually not for more than a couple of days and they have always gone away on their own so long as I drink plenty of water etc etc.. not this time. I'll warn you now it's going to my TMI heavy so if you'd rather not.. you know what to do. Today I was extra uncomfortable and suffering from what I thought was trapped wind (another frequent issue - I know, glamorous!) it was a dull ache in my lower back and a bit annoying but nothing horrendous. I came to bed as usual with the same discomfort and as the evening progressed so did it. Right now it's like agony, I'm not sure if I'd call it pain.. it's really, really uncomfortable and if I move I might let out a yelp but I think the fact that I want to have a little cry is probably more due to the lack of sleep than anything. It doesn't matter how I lie it feels awful, The out of hours doc said to call back immediately if symptoms worsen but that what I described coupled with the existing UTI suggest kidney infection. Obviously being the internet-body that I am I have done a little research and it can be pretty scary stuff, luckily it sounds like I caught it early and I will get antibiotics tomorrow so it should be gone within a few days but it made me think. I'm someone that's always got some kind of tummy trouble, I don't go a day feeling totally 100% and the discomfort I put up with because I think it's normal is maybe not so much. There was one occasion when my husband had what he described as the worst pain in his side and I am absolutely convinced it was trapped wind (lol) but because he's never experienced it before he had no idea and I can see how a sudden pain in your side could be frightening. Because I'm used to these irritations I could quite easily have gone days if not weeks without seeking help for this infection because I assumed it was just normal pain.. is it weird to think pain is normal? I don't know.. these are my 3am ramblings and I've taken a pretty hefty pain killer so I should probably go and attempt some rest before the school run in the morning. 

One last thing, do as I say not as I do - do not look up your symptoms online or you will convince yourself you're going to die. True story.

4 comments:

  1. I understand your reluctance to complain about it! I really try not to see a doctor unless absolutely necessary because I'm really not a moaner health wise. I used to wake up during the night in really bad pain through the middle of my body (back/stomach area) and I always thought it was stomach related. I tried cutting out different things and eating earlier and at first I thought it was making a difference but it came and went for a long time. Then one night I woke up in the worst pain I've ever felt-literally like someone was stabbing me through the middle of my body. So much so that I couldn't stand up straight, I had to walk doubled up. I ended up going to A&E as it was in the middle of the night and it turned out to actually be a back ligament problem-basically a lot of inflammation and to this day I don't know what caused it. They gave me anti-inflammatories and very strong painkillers and it soon went away and never came back touch wood. I could have avoided all that if I'd seen my doctor sooner! Just shows that sometimes it's best just to go x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you, hope you start to feel better soon. I know how awful it feels. I'm like you, there's not a day go by when something in y body doesn't quite feel right, an I always look up what it might possibly be on the Internet and scare myself half to death. Just keep drinking plenty of water and get lots of rest. Hot water bottle might help too but I'm sure you already know all the tricks xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch I get that a lot :/ The powder drinks are great in case you can't get hold of any antibiotics, they taste gross but they work :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you googled Gallstones? I was in agony for about a year till I had them out :o( - hope it's not them BTW!!

    Hope you're feeling better now x

    ReplyDelete