Monday

03/06 - Aitch NOT Haitch


This is probably my ultimate pet peeve. Growing up my mum was so hot on grammar and pronunciation and this is the absolute worst yet most common mistake. On top of my tyrannical mother, my Grandma was an English teacher so I couldn't get away with anything. I'm glad of it now if course because when necessary I know how to speak properly but it's made me less tolerant of others speech. I try not to pick people up on it but it's tough so I thought this little rant into the blogosphere might help quash the urge and hopefully even teach a few people that what is widely accepted as correct actually isn't at all.

What's your biggest pet peeve?


2 comments:

  1. the incorrect use of what and how drive me slightly up the wall. I am glad it is not just me that has H issues too, it's so prominent with a Scottish accent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to sound so uneducated now.. but I didn't actually know this! I always thought it was haitch because its a H if that makes sense?! So it's an aitch. It's not a haitch. Got it :) x

    ReplyDelete