Sunday

Creme Egg Cupcakes


I have seen variations on gooey centred cupcakes all over Pinterest lately so I was dying to try my hand at some for the Easter holiday. Given that my cupcake pan is quite small I didn't think I could fit full sized creme eggs into them so I went for the mini 'twisted' variety you find in Hero's and I think they worked really well. A couple of notes there.. you really do need to freeze them overnight so that they don't melt too much within the cake.. I only had a few hours and as you can see from the photo at the end of this post it does have a gooey centre but you don't get the 'egg-like' effect you would if the fondant was intact upon biting into it. This still works well but I doubt anyone would recognise the filling so I would definitely make that amendment next time. 



I decided to use chocolate cupcakes and chocolate frosting, you can read my basic cupcake recipe here. For chocolate I just substitute 1oz of flour for cocoa powder and I've never successfully made a tasty chocolate topping so I cheated with Betty Crocker but you could opt for buttercream if you wish. 
I put about the same amount of batter into each case I would without the chocolates and didn't find that they overspilled at all (surprising) so that's another thing to remember when you're trying your own.. I'd expected to have an explosion with my first batch but they were fine. I did cover over the chocolate but I'm not sure it was necessary as the batter obviously rises and will cover over anyway as the chocolate inevitably melt a little. 




Et Voila! Done! Obviously large creme eggs would create a larger gooey centre but I'm not sure that they're necessary and size aside it would be awfully expensive! I'm aware that there is a brownie adaptation sweeping the blogosphere right now so providing I can extend the Easter theme over the 'Easter Holidays' (Spring Break here in the UK) I may just have a go at those too.

If you've tried something similar yourself and blogged it leave a link!

Khi

3 comments:

  1. These look delicious, I'll definitely be giving them a try! Xx
    worthwakingupfor.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look so yummy :)
    on a side note, absolutely adore this new blog. they header is gorgeous and the name is brilliant too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried Easter cakes too......my eldest doesn't like creme eggs so some had caramel eggs in. Both worked well but were so so sickly that I think using the smaller twisted chocolates is a fab idea!

    http://www.thebeautystop.co.uk/2013/03/easter-egg-hunt-cakes.html

    ReplyDelete